Objective of the project
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to increased respect for human rights, gender equality and strengthened democratic governance at the national and local levels. It aims to improve access to justice through effective key institutions within the justice sector that respect human rights and the rule of law.
The specific outcomes of the projects include;
- Improved Access to Justice through effective key institutions within the justice sector that respects human rights and the rule of law.
- Effective advocacy carried out by media and stakeholders in civil society at local and national level in order to strengthen democratic culture and increased accountability
Activities that will be conducted under this project are:
- Mapping of institutions (Police stations, Posts and Patrol Bases) in Nairobi and Kisumu Counties
- Conducting Service satisfaction surveys for police officers and right holders in Nairobi and Kisumu Counties (around mapped out police stations)
- Holding Consultative Meetings with various stakeholders in Nairobi and Kisumu counties to create awareness on the satisfaction levels
- Reviewing of Police training curriculum in relation to anti-corruption
- Carrying out media engagements to publicize information and findings mostly with the local radio stations and social media
- Carrying out analysis of police station need versus budget allocation
- Sharing and dissemination of the findings to the policing authorities with a view to influence bottom up budgeting
- Train and deploy 20 police preparedness monitors per target county
- Sharing police monitoring data with policing authorities and other stakeholders
- Monitoring of police welfare and capacity in respect to housing scheme, medical scheme and equipment
- Carry out dialogue meetings per year with county authority officers to disseminate information on police welfare
- Research on drivers of corruption in traffic matters and traffic legislation’s impact on anti-corruption efforts
- Conduct Corruption risk assessment in targeted courts within Nairobi and Kisumu Counties
- Engage stakeholders on key areas of reform with judicial officers at the national level
- Develop an anti-corruption action plan
- Develop a case journal on anti-corruption, leadership and integrity
- Engage judicial officers on the trends in corruption
- Carrying out public awareness forums per year on the Integrated Public Complaints Referral Mechanism (IPCRM) in Nairobi and Kisumu countes
- Hold consultative meetings in target counties on citizen participation law
- Stakeholders consensus meeting(MCAs, CSOs, Faith groups and citizens) to create buy in for the law
- Lobbying meetings per targeting county officials in the target counties.
- Drafting meetings for customization of draft bill on public participation in consultation with county officials in targeted counties.
- Hold Advocacy and consultative meetings for the development of Civic Education law in 1 county
- Hold drafting meetings to develop civic education bills
- Lobbying meetings targeting county officials.
- Tracking, monitoring and documentation of the processes of public participation such as policy making, budgeting and prioritizing of service needs in target counties.
The project aims to achieve Strengthened institutional capacities within the police service, increased accountability within the police service, improved pace in the implementation of police reforms, improved access to courts for indigent populations and increased public participation in governance processes
The project will run for a period of 30 months and is funded by the Embassy of Sweden to the tune of Ksh 30, 330, 000 and is coordinated by Diakonia.
- Accountability & Transparency in Kenya
- Kaunti Yetu Elimu Yetu (Our County, Our Education)
- Mtetezi ni mimi na wewe (We are advocates)
- Kaa Chonjo! (Be Alert!)
- Action for Transparency
- Haki na Uongozi Bora. Ninawajibika(Democracy, Governance & Human Rights)
- Social Accountability Project
- Uwajibikaji Pamoja (“Accountability Together” in Kiswahili)
- Create a Project