Natural Resources and Climate Governance
HomeNatural Resources and Climate Governance
Priority Issues: The main concern for this result area is be mis-governance of natural resources and environment; corruption; inadequate knowledge/ information; as well as non-transparent natural resources and climate governance processes. The priority sectors that this result area will focus on include Land, Extractives, Environment, Energy, and Blue Economy.
- To contribute to greater accountability & transparency of natural resource and climate governance.
- To enhance the sustainable use and equitable sharing of natural resources.
- Responsible and sustainable governance of natural resource and climate finance.
- Greater transparency and equity in natural resources’ benefit-sharing.
- More citizens demand rights and hold duty-bearers accountable to effective natural resource and climate governance.
- Research: Undertake research, analysis, investigation, and/ or documentation; also conduct corruption risk assessment and mitigation.
- Enabling regulatory environment: Advocate for reform and/or adherence to policy, legal, and institutional frameworks governing extractives, land, and energy (especially ethics, accountability, and transparency focused provisions); exploratory research on scope and quality of regulatory frameworks around blue economy.
- Institutional strengthening: Facilitate capacity development of relevant institutions.
- Community empowerment: Strengthen citizen’s capacity to hold duty bearers accountable towards transparent, accountable & equitable natural resources benefit sharing.
- Movement building: Strengthening the voice, agency, claim-making capacity, and self-organizing capacity of civic groups and the public in general.
- Public Interest Litigation: Institute or enjoin in strategic natural resource governance-related cases.
- Research: Undertake collaborative corruption risk assessment, analysis, and development of mitigation measures.
- Enabling regulatory environment: Support reforms and/ or implementation of climate governance focused legal, policy and/ or institutional frameworks.
- Civic empowerment: Raise public awareness and consciousness on climate governance rights, including claim making and holding duty bearers to account.
- Partnerships development: Engage in collaborations towards good governance of climate finance resources.