Transparency International Kenya offers FREE legal advice on corruption related cases under the Advocacy and Legal Advice Centre (ALAC).
What is ALAC?
Advocacy and Legal Advice Centre (ALAC) is a walk-in, call-in and mail centre where any person can obtain free and confidential advice on corruption cases. TI-Kenya in collaboration with government commissions and coalition partners against corruption in Coast, North Rift, Western and Nairobi regions are working to empower citizens to actively participate in the fight against corruption in Kenya.
Although corruption affects Kenyans seeking public services in key sectors like water, security, education and health, research shows that many corruption cases go unreported.
Why I haven’t reported corruption related cases;
- No action would be taken
- I did not know where to report
- It did not occur to me that I should report
- Fear of self incrimination
- Fear of intimidation
ALAC works with communities to empower them to overcome these reasons for not reporting corruption. ALAC also offers a unique opportunity for the fight against corruption in Kenya as it gives opportunity to gather data on graft incidents in various public and private institutions.
What ALAC offers
- ·Receive complaint(s) on Corruption;
- ·Provide legal advice on the case(s)
- Refer the case to relevant institutions of Government and track the progress of the complaint(s) through the IPCRM system.
How can ALAC assist you in the fight against corruption?
TI-Kenya works in partnership with both state and non-state actors in assisting Kenyans beat corruption. Some of the Non-state actors that TI-Kenya works with include Kituo cha Sheria, Christian Legal Education Aid and Research (CLEAR) and FIDA amongst others to scrutinise individual cases and advise those affected accordingly.
ALAC officers refer cases to relevant government commissions for further action as indicated below.
|Corruption related cases||The Ethics & Anti-corruption Commission|
|Human rights related issues||The Kenya National Commission on Human rights (KNCHR)|
|Complaints on public service delivery||The Commission on Administration of Justice (Ombudsman)|
|Hate speech related cases||The National Cohesion and Integration Commission|
To receive FREE advice on CORRUPTION related cases, you need to:
- Visit the ALAC office in your region
- Call/SMS the ALAC office in your region
- Email the ALAC office in your region
- Attend mobile legal clinics organized by ALAC
- Write a letter to the ALAC
- Contact TI-Kenya head office directly
What ALAC DOES NOT DO?
- ALAC will not be involved in any propaganda that may compromise the integrity of any partner institution.
- ALAC will not be used to settle scores between rival groups.
- ALAC will not try to fight corruption or even represent the communities single-handedly. Instead, ALAC will work with the communities to impact change in the attitude and behaviour on anti-corruption initiatives.
- ALAC will not be engaged in local politics or any activities that might interfere with its objectives.
- ALAC will not provide solutions to every case that might come up but would like to encourage the citizen to bring forward genuine information that will help the citizen to join in the fight against corruption.
- ALAC will not investigate corruption cases
WHERE IS ALAC LOCATED?
Tel: +254 53 2033100
Hotline: 0800 720 721
Cell: 0704 899 887
FIMS Building, Nandi Street Opposite Nandi Arcade, 3rd Floor, Room C26
Mobile: +254 (0) 701 471 575
Hotline: 0800 720 721
Kindaruma Road, off Ring Road, Kilimani
Next to Commodore Office Suites Gate No. 713; Suite No. 4
Tel: +254 (0) 728 418 822
Hotline: 0800 720 721
2nd floor, KNCHR Offices
Panal Freighters Lane off Haile Selassie Avenue Behind Pride inn hotel Mombasa CBD.
Mobile: 0716 900 227
P.O.BOX 3560-40100, Kisumu
Nyalenda Railways Estate-Opposite YMCA, Gate A-Nairobi Road, Kisumu
RT @KCA_KENYA: It's a full house! 🪡🧶 Disinformation on elections disrupted the credibility and authenticity of the process. Did the medi…22 hours ago
Watch here: 👇👇 https://t.co/0AVsuIpEUe #LetMeShowYou #Satire #InvestigativeJournalism #SocialChangeAdvocacy… https://t.co/BU1TqhjDdb2 days ago
The first ever satire web series, done in collaboration with @MagambaTV premieres soon! Turning investigative stori… https://t.co/oyLvXClccu2 days ago